Sunday, September 25, 2011

Exploring the old grounds

Upon inquiry, I got to go visit one of the three old hospital grounds called the Scollard site. It is one of the three hospitals that has been merged into the new building called the North Bay Regional Health Centre were I have my studio. This old Scollard site is for the most part a huge empty building waiting to be sold. The air in there is very dusty and stale. Some rooms have used furniture and hospital equipment listed to be sold. Other rooms had shelving full of boxes of unusable hospital supplies. I was given the ok to explore and open boxes, take pictures and to use any of the supplies that I may want to work with for art. Talk about a thrill!


Lots of stainless steel


and plastics of all kinds




I brought back a few things along with a stack of black paper that was piled in the corner of the shelving room. I'm also planning another visit once I've mulled over what I have discovered here. Is any of this useful to me? What calls for my attention? What kind of visual poetry can be made with items of such specific function? In what way can the function of any of these objects enrich the meaning of something placed in its proximity? These are some of the questions I brought back with me from my excursion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment