Monday, September 5, 2011

My first sleep...or not.

From the airport we drove on what appears to be the town highway and then off into the woods along a rough semi paved path finally leading to an empty parking lot. The Monastery was originally run by the sisters of the precious blood then sold to the University of Nipissing in 1961. It is now used by the University as a conference building and has a few suites to accommodate visitors to the university. The hall was renovated and modernized most likely in the 80's guessing by the style. Although the utilitarian aesthetic is typical of monasteries, the recent addition of institutional metal doors, stainless steel electrical components and long empty hallways gave me the  impression upon my weary arrival that I was settling into a penitentiary.
What came as a surprise to both myself and Chantal is that all three floors of the building are completely empty! The place had been selected for me as it offered privacy but we agreed it was more isolation than privacy. It's a bit of a lonely place.
So I brushed my teeth, opened the bedroom window and laid on the bed with the light on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment